Each week, we look at one or more questions in Spurgeon’s Catechism as published on the back of our bulletin.
Q82. What is meant by the words, “until He come,” which are used by the apostle Paul in reference to the Lord’s Supper?
A82. They plainly teach us that our Lord Jesus Christ will come a second time: this is the joy and hope of all believers.*1
- Acts 1:11. “This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.
A Catechism For Boys and Girls
Q31. What does every sin deserve?
A29. The anger and judgment of God.
- Deuteronomy 27:26. “‘Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law.’ “And all the people shall say, ‘Amen!'”
- Romans 1:18; 2:2. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. … But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.
- Galatians 3:10. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”
- Ephesians 5:6. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Q32. Can anyone go to heaven with this sinful nature?
A32. No. Our hearts must be changed before we can be fit for heaven.
- Jeremiah 31:33-34. “But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
- Ezekiel 36:25-27. “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.”
- John 1:12-13. But as many as received Him [Jesus], to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- John 3:1-10, esp. v5-6. Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” [Read entire section in your Bible.]
- 1 John 5:1, 4, 18. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. … For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world–our faith. … We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.
Remember it in song form:
“And as it is appointed unto men once to die,
but after this the judgment”